Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Characters

As most of the people around me know, I've written a couple dozen novels and am working on a few right now. That's how I work, and I know that it's unusual -- a few at a time. Some writers focus on one masterpiece at a time while I wander from work to work.

I haven't had time for my shorter pieces, though they are there, in my head, jealous that I haven't given them the affection they deserve (and they do deserve my attention). I often think that my stories deserve the greatest writer that can give them the most well-written passages in the best delivery. Then again, I love them more than any writer could, so I do my best.

Last week, I attended a seminar by Jonathan Franzen (probably misspelled). He spoke at length about the importance of sympathetic characters and the importance of characters in a story. I wholeheartedly agree with him. I can't read a book if I can't like the character at least a little bit, and the more I love the characters, the more I want to know their stories. That's what a book is, right? It's someone's, or lot of peoples' story.

I haven't had much time to write, what with my major organic chemistry exam tomorrow (and it's a doozy!) and domestic animal biology exam on Tuesday. I will certainly pick up the pace starting Wednesday, though. Until then, I want to know something from you, my readers who are also writers.

I want to know about your characters. I don't mind if (and actually have an interest in) the characters haven't graced one of your pieces yet. I just want to know about them, so if you don't mind, could you make your way to the comments section and answer a few questions? Pick and choose if you like. I will give my answers next week.

1) Who are your characters, and how do you come to meet them? Do you give life to them, build them from clay like a god, with pieces and traits sewn together in one embodiment? Do they come to you, fully fleshed out, like a stranger you wanted to meet? Is it a bit of both -- you meet him but maybe redress his very soul?

2) How alike are your characters to you? to your friends? Do you prefer very unreal people that maybe needed some research to fully form, or do you write more from your personal being?

3) Thinking of all of your characters, what are some generally similar characteristics they share? Do you write mostly about males or females? Do they have similar flaws? Do they have similar passions, goals, hobbies, desires, interests, histories, physical traits?

4) Are your characters inherently flawed, or do you put effort into making them more relate-able (that is, your excellent writing ability makes them more "human")? Do you use more imperfect characters, average characters, sinister characters, or perfect characters (like Joe in Great Expectations or Clarissa Harlowe)?

Thinking of your reading experiences . . .

5) What do you like about certain characters? What draws you to them? What makes you feel for them? Who is your favorite character from any book (you can choose many).

6) Who is your least favorite character from any book? Why didn't you like the character? Do you think the author designed the character this way - that is, to be greatly disliked - or was it more accidental? Did the character draw from your personal experiences?

No comments:

Post a Comment