Saturday, March 30, 2013

Crimson Promises Update

I am certainly still alive and hiding my little treasure piece. It's still undergoing some edits before I let it go to the Ethan Ellenberg Literary Agency (my dream agent). No one has read it through yet, but I am submitting the first twelve pages for my creative writing class workshop.

Edits I'm working on include

  • cutting down on dialogue. My characters have always been chatty.
  • cutting down on background. A lot of it isn't relevant enough to warrant the space it takes.
  • cutting down words. Never use two words when one will do, as they say. Also, I really want the action to come in earlier. I hate a book that doesn't get exciting until page 100, so why would I write one?
Wish me luck. I might post a little excerpt up here and see if I can bait anyone. The trouble is that fantasy is hard. Not that many people read fantasy, and fewer people buy it. The fantasy that does get published has to be nothing short of amazing in order to survive the market. If I had my way, I would write a book so amazing that people would fall in love with the fantasy genre as a whole. That might be too much to ask though.

No comments:

Post a Comment